Our School Uniform and PE Kit Information
The three guiding principles of Challney High School for Girls are:
Respect, Opportunity and Achievement
It is our aim to strive for excellence by:
- Developing self-respect and respecting other people, their culture, beliefs, feelings and possessions;
- Providing staff and students with opportunities to broaden their experience, develop their potential, gain self-esteem and achieve success;
- Valuing and promoting achievement in academic study, sport, performance, creative art and community work.
We do this by providing a caring, friendly, supportive environment designed to promote learning and the love of learning. We will work in partnership with parents/carers, other educational establishments and the wider community to encourage learning as a lifelong activity.
To uphold ethos, the school considers uniform to be important for all its students in order to foster pride in the school and its work and to encourage a sense of belonging to the school community. The uniform also provides a sensible and practical form of dress for school and helps to establish a positive image of the school in the wider community.
The School Uniform:
Every student must wear:
- A plain white school shirt suitable to wear with a tie
- A Challney High School for Girls clip-on tie with the relevant house colours (These can be purchased from Prestige Ltd or from the School)
- Plain black, straight legged trousers, plain black skirt (knee length) or a plain black tunic. Leggings are not permitted to be worn in school
- Plain black, sensible school shoes
- Plain black socks/tights
- A black blazer with the school badge
All clothing must be labelled with the student’s full name so that it can be easily identified in case of loss.
Headscarves and Head Coverings:
Any student choosing to wear a headscarf must wear the school approved two-piece head scarf without pins. Wrap around head scarves are not permitted Students in years 7-10 must wear black headscarves. Students in Year 11 only can either wear a new black headscarf or carry on wearing the dark green headscarf that they currently use. The headscarf can be purchased from: Amsons, 209 Dunstable Road, Luton, LU1 1DD Tel: 01582 734627
In the interests of Health & Safety, girls choosing to wear their head scarf over their chest must wear an overall provided by the school during practical lessons, notably in: Science, Resistant Materials and Food Studies, and also in Textiles and Art if asked to do so. With reference to Physical Education (PE), girls must bring a separate head scarf for PE.
Alternative head coverings:
Girls wishing to wear an alternative head covering for religious reasons, e.g. a Sikh turban, must see the Headteacher to ensure that it meets uniform requirements.
All girls must have a full P.E. kit as listed below and this must be labelled (including trainers) with the student’s full name so that it can be easily identified in case of loss.
Year 7 (from September 2018)
- A purple t-shirt with the school badge. This is compulsory for students in year 7
- Black tracksuit bottoms or fitted training pants, and/or black shorts. These can be plain black trousers
- Purple fleece with the school badge. This is optional for year 7 students but no other fleece or garment will be permitted for outdoor activities. We would advise that students have this fleece, especially for the colder months
- Sports socks (not football socks), black or white
- A black polo shirt, plain or with the school badge
- Black tracksuit bottoms, plain or with the school badge and/or black shorts, plain or with the school badge
- Black ¼ zip fleece, plain or with the school badge
- Sports socks (not football socks), black or white
Year 8-11 can continue to wear a black polo shirt and black fleece until such time new ones are needed. The purple t-shirt and fleece will then need to be purchased in future years.
T-shirts, shorts, tracksuit bottoms, fitted training pants and fleeces with school badge can be purchased directly from Prestige Design & Workwear, Unit 12 Barton Industrial Estate, Faldo Road, Barton Le Clay, Beds, MK45 4RP Tel: 01582 883222 www.prestigedesignww.co.uk
Items can be purchased online via their website with free delivery for orders over £25.00. Please click on the School Uniform link on the home page and look for link for Challney High School for Girls. Plain items are available from most sports outlets.
School Uniform/PE Kit Suppliers
- Zenith School Uniform Outfitters, 57 Waller Avenue, Luton, LU4 9RP Tel: 01582 560123
- Bushra Fashions, 200 Dunstable Road, Luton, LU4 1DD Tel: 01582 413360
- JS Sports & Schoolwear, 22 Neville Road, Luton, LU3 2JQ Tel: 01582 494401
- Prestige Design & Workwear, Unit 12 Barton Industrial Estate, Faldo Road, Barton Le Clay, Beds, MK45 4RP Tel: 01582 883222 www.prestigedesignww.co.uk
The following may be worn:
- One pair of stud earrings
- One watch
Girls are not allowed to wear any form of nose jewellery or other body piercings. The school accepts no responsibility for the loss of expensive clothing or jewellery. Make up, nail varnish and false nails should not be worn. Coloured contact lenses are not permitted.